Lining your walls with lining paper before you hang wallpaper is vital to a smooth finish for the walls or roof. Lining paper can help:
- Disguise little imperfections in the area of walls
- Include another layer of insulation to your living space
- Counter wallpaper shrinking when it is hung in the wall surface, avoiding gaps amongst the lengths of paper
- Reduce steadily the odds of spots and markings regarding the wall showing during your wallpaper or fresh layer of paint
- Offer a barrier against penetrating moist and mould
- Protect flammable areas in the eventuality of a fire (seek out ‘class zero’ fire-rated liner documents)
In this guide we’ll explain how exactly to;
- Mark a guideline for the piece that is first of paper
- Cut and measure liner paper
- Apply adhesive right to paper that is liningwe’re making use of paste the paper liner paper)
- Hang lining paper horizontally on walls
- Hang lining paper on ceilings
How to pick lining paper
When you shop for lining paper there are certain facts to consider, getting the many suitable variety of lining paper for the task.
Key variants in kinds of lining paper are:
- Level – the depth regarding the liner paper
- Application – the approach to hanging, with various methods to use the adhesive
Lining paper will come in various thicknesses, referred to as grades. The grades consist of 800 (thinnest) to 2000 (thickest).
The grade you decide on depends on the health of the walls. A slim liner or low-grade paper enables you to protect hairline cracks within the wall’s plastering. In the event that wall surface is within a negative condition, a thicker 2000 grade lining paper will soon be expected to help cover pitting and much more noticeable plastering flaws.
If you’re maybe not yes which grade to utilize, we advice the 1400 choice since it is dense sufficient to cover flaws and block staining.
Our lining paper range includes standard liner paper which you use adhesive to, or paste the wall surface lining paper. Paste the wall surface may be simpler to hang while you use the adhesive into the wall surface as opposed to the paper, so that you don’t have hefty folded paper to hold. For paste the wall surface paper that is lining we advice making use of a paint roller to use Clicking Here the adhesive to your wall surface.
The paper lining paper, which means that you apply the adhesive to the lining paper before hanging for this project we’re using paste.
The adhesive needed additionally differs based on whether you’re hanging paste the paper of paste the wall surface paper that is lining.
The width of lining paper can differ between 500 and 1000millimetres (mm). With wider liner paper you may want to purchase less rolls, nonetheless it may be more cumbersome to hold.
How exactly to determine just how much liner paper is required
Should your rolls of lining paper will be the exact same size as a standard wallpaper roll (between 530 and 560mm wide and 10m in total). Make use of our calculator to observe many rolls of lining paper you want.
In the event your chosen liner paper is just a various size (length or width), you’ll need certainly to do a little fundamental calculations to work through exactly how many rolls you will need.
In any event, very very first gauge the areas that’ll be lined in metres, making an email associated with the length and height of each and every wall surface. Then determine any obstacles that are large won’t be covered, like windows and doors – as they areas will soon be subtracted.
To manually work out of the quantity of rolls required, utilize this easy calculation:
Step one: determine the size of lining paper required for one wall surface.
Divide the height associated with wall surface (WH) by the width of this roll of liner paper (LPW) to obtain the period of lining paper required for the wall surface (LPL).
E.g. 2.4m / 0.56m = 4.3m (curved up)
Step two: determine the quantity necessary for all walls.
Increase this figure by the border (P) for the space to obtain the length that is total of paper for the room (LPT).
E.g. 4.3m x 15m = 64.5m
Step three: determine the certain section of each door and screen.
Grow the hinged door width (DW) because of the home height (DH) to obtain the area of the home (DA). Grow the window width (WW) by the screen height (WH) to obtain the section of the screen (WA).
Repeat this for several windows and doors.
E.g. Door 1 is 2.05m x 0.9m = 1.85m Door 2 is 2.05m x 0.9m = 1.85m
E.g. Window 1 is 1.5m x 1m = 1.5m
Step four: determine the area that is total of windows and doors.
Include together areas for several windows and doors to obtain the total area (TA).
E.g. 1.85m + 1.85m + 1.5m = 5.2m
Action 5: determine the total area excluding windows and doors.
Subtract the sum total from step four through the total in step two to obtain the total period of lining paper required for the space (T), excluding the doors and windows.
E.g. 64.5m – 5.2m = 59.3m
Action 6: include 10% additional for cutting.
Grow the sum total from action 5 by 1.1, that may include 10% to accommodate extra that you’ll hang and cut off ( E).
E.g. 59.3m x 1.1 = 65.23m
Action 7: determine the final amount of rolls required.
Divide the sum total from action 6 by the period of the roll (L) and locate to offer the final amount of rolls needed (TR).
E.g. 65.23m / 20m = 3.26 (round as much as 4 rolls)
You shall require
- Lining paper
- Wallpaper adhesive – also called wallpaper paste
- Versatile filler – if needed to fill any gaps
- 80 sandpaper that is grit also called medium sandpaper – to fill out any gaps, if needed
- Sanding block
- Little nail – if making use of a chalk line on a ceiling
- Dust sheets – either fabric or polythene dirt sheets are usable with this task, although polythene may be slippery whenever utilized over difficult floor coverings
- Action ladder or work platform
- Wallpaper smoother
- Wallpaper brush that is pasting
- Pasting brush – not essential if utilizing paste the wall surface paper that is lining
- Roller and tray – enables you to use paste the wall adhesive right to walls or ceilings
- Tape measure
- Wallpaper scissors
- Big sponge
- Seam roller
- Chalk line – if hanging liner paper for a roof
- Claw hammer – if hanging liner paper for a roof (for chalk line nails)
- Filling blade – if needed
- Utility knife
- Long rule
- Wallpaper guide that is cutting
- Decorators coveralls
- Security goggles – if pasting a ceiling
- Dust mask – to put on if sanding
There is a few steps that are preparatory beginning your liner paper task to assist prepare the area for enhancing.
When your walls are freshly plastered, using wall surface sealer (also referred to as wall surface size) will seal the wall surface, stopping it from absorbing the wallpaper adhesive. It will help the paper stay glued to the wall and decreases the opportunity that the liner paper will shrink. Connect with the wall surface employing a pasting brush or paint roller before you hang your lining paper. Stick to the item directions for help with the length of time you need to wait after application before hanging the liner paper.
We recommend removing any existing layers of wallpaper before you hang the lining paper. Our guide to removing wallpaper will walk you through the actions to stripping your walls back into get a blank canvas ready for lining.
Before you obtain started with hanging the liner paper, clear your space of furniture. This can ensure it is very easy to maneuver around without obstacles getting into the real method and avoids mess or harm through the paste.
Our guide on planning walls for painting contains steps for clearing the area, cleansing and fixing walls and light that is covering and fixings. These actions additionally submit an application for preparing an area before hanging paper that is lining.
Constantly make certain that the top is dry and clean.
If you should be hanging lining paper regarding the ceilings and walls of one’s space, we suggest lining the ceiling first after which the walls after. This gives a neater finish around the sides. Jump in to the ‘how exactly to hang liner paper on a roof’ before going back to the walls parts.
Safety and health first
- Keep glues and scissors away from reach of kids
- Constantly guarantee good ventilation during application and drying of wallpaper pastes/adhesives
- Don’t switch on the electricity if paste drips onto a fitting that is electrical. Await it to dry up and, if required, look for assistance from a qualified electrician
- If wallpapering a roof, we advise having a helper to guide while you shall be working at height.